Over the last four years here at UOIT, I have personally tried multiple things to keep me from having a break down during stressful times. Through many attempts I have come up with a short list of things you may find useful to give yourself a little well deserved break during midterms and exams:
- Try going for a short walk or run, exercise helps clear the brain and gives you a boost of energy.
- Read a chapter of your favourite or current book.
- Call up a friend or family member to have a quick chat with them.
- Try a new class – if you have a gym membership.
- Treat yourself to your favourite candy, sweet, or something you have been craving.
- Every 2-3 hours take a little break, even if it is just a stretch.
- Plan ahead, create a little study guide before you crack down on the studying.
- Stay on top of class readings or find someone who is willing to share notes.
- Eat! During stressful times we all forget to eat sometimes but, eating helps us retain information and gives us the energy boost we may need to keep on studying.
- Get enough sleep, generally 6-8 hours of sleep is recommended for young adults.
And I think the best tip of all that I can share is to breathe!
Good luck on midterms, papers, and of course your final exams come December!!