Where do we go from here?

Around the end of March, I was hospitalized for an acute mental health crisis. At that point I had no idea what to do, I felt so lost and so scared, and I thought the hospital was my last option.

Three months prior, I had recently had two of my medications increased, because of my anxiety and depression getting a bit worse. But leading up to march, I felt I was getting worse and worse. Getting out of bed was the hardest part of the day because I didn’t see a point. I was struggling with my classes (although my grades didn’t necessarily reflect that at first), and I was getting nervous over things I was completely fine with before. I was constantly questioning my abilities, my worth as a person, and whether I really deserved everything good I’ve gotten in my life. I felt like I was at rock bottom, even if on the outside I still seemed fine. I’ve never liked drawing attention to myself, and asking for help is incredibly difficult for me, even when I know I need it.

Unfortunately for me, going to the hospital wasn’t the best experience. I cried the whole way there. I cried while I was assessed in triage. I cried in the waiting room. I didn’t know what I was expecting to get out of going. Did I want to stay there? Did I want to leave? Would anyone believe how I was feeling?

I got to see a doctor in a decent amount of time, but because I wasn’t there for a physical ailment, I was sent back out the waiting room to wait for a crisis nurse. I waited for four hours before I saw one. I was taken to pretty much the other side of the hospital, had a small interview, then taken right back and told that the psychiatrist would see me shortly. Apparently “shortly” meant a few more hours.

When I eventually did see the psychiatrist, he rushed through his assessment. Every single question he asked, I ticked off what disorder he was checking for. He got visibly annoyed when I couldn’t or didn’t know how to answer one of his questions. He didn’t really seem to care about why I was there. I was just another number, another cry for help.

I was sent back out the waiting room, and not too long later a nurse came to get me and said they had a bed for me. But it was in the hallway. I was feeling extremely vulnerable, I had been crying for hours at the point. I didn’t want to feel like I was being displayed out in the open for people to see. So I told her I’d much rather leave than be in the hallway like that. Maybe I was expecting too much. Maybe I knew I’d feel worse if people could visibly see how awful I was feeling.

They did find an assessment room for me, and the first thing I did was lay on the stretcher and cry some more. What irks me the most is that no one checked on me in the couple hours i was in that room. I was in a bare, empty room, by myself, having come in amidst a mental health crisis. I couldn’t stay there. I was afraid to leave, but once they said I’d be in that room all night until a bed was available (which one being available the next day was unlikely in itself), I knew I wouldn’t be able to stay. I’d be alone with my thoughts for even longer, I wouldn’t have my medications, I wouldn’t have any contact with my family because my phone was almost dead. The walls already felt like they were closing in on me. I had to leave.

The psychiatrist I saw before was patronizing about my decision to leave. He basically said I was making a big mistake and that I’d get the help I needed if I stayed. But when would I get that help? In the morning? In two days? When a bed was actually available? I needed help at that moment, not when it was more convenient for them.

And I get it, hospital emergency rooms are busy, and they take those with more life threatening emergencies first. But how do you justify having someone wait hours upon hours just to see a psychiatrist when you feel that way? How do you justify never checking in on someone who’s currently in that state of mind? What if it was someone else? What if they were seriously considering harming themselves? What if they had the means to do it right there with them? And ultimately, what if they did, and they found out far too late because no one bothered checking in on them?

In the end I’m not entirely sure what changed. But once I decided to leave, everything seemed more clear to me. It was nearly 7pm at that point, and I arrived at 10am. For the first time that day since waking up, I felt as if I would be fine. I didn’t know when, but I knew I’d be fine. It’s like going to the hospital gave me a completely new mindset on my mental illness. Two months later and I’m still not sure what clicked.

I’m doing better than that point, though still struggling. I’m in the process of weaning off the medication I believed was making me feel worse. It’s incredibly difficult. But I have a lot of support, and ultimately a lot of hope.

I’m not sharing my experience for pity, I’m sharing it for more awareness. And maybe to get answers to some of my own questions from my experience. Is this how mental health crises are always handled in a hospital setting? Are they not taken seriously unless harm is imminent or already happening? Are many psychiatrists like the one I saw there? I just feel like there’s so much that needs to change about this.

Please don’t take my experience as the norm. For all I know, this could actually be completely different than what normally happens. But I don’t know. Maybe some have been in my situation and got the help they needed immediately, and maybe some didn’t. One of my instructors told us that mental health and wellness is one of the biggest growing medical fields. So why isn’t that being reflected upon?


5 thoughts on “Where do we go from here?

  1. Thanks shannonjeva, my hospital experience was not any better. Hours and hours of waiting, a crisis worker who talked to me for 10 min and disappeared forever, and the psychiatrist who spent 5 min with me while checking his phone. I was told to wait, so I waited and waited – spent 11 hours waiting. I was hungry and exhausted so I finally left which did not seem to prompt any response. The triage nurse just nodded her head when I notified her. The experience wasn’t just exhausting, it was actually dispiriting. I went there to seek help, I was vulnerable, scared and hurting critically and I did not get any help.


  2. I’m sorry that you’ve had a difficult experience there. I wish there’s some way to make changes and I’m glad you shared your thoughts.


  3. I’d like to respond to this in the most sensitive way that I can. I have been several times to the emergency room for both suicide attempts and general mental health concerns. And I can absolutely tell you that it is because of them I am alive and thriving today. The emergency and medical system is understaffed and overworked. The crisis team is qualified and efficient because they must be. The initial assessment done by both the social worker and then the psychiatrist are done in order to assess your mental state of mind and the urgency of your needs. They are there to assess your overal immediate risk for self harm. If they feel that you are struggling but ok to wait so that they can attend to more urgent concerns, it is unfortunate but with patience help will be received. In the time you were struggling there could have been someone who was having hallucinations being calmed and diagnosed, or someone in the midst of a manic episode likely to hurt themselves or others, or even worse an individual who had taken the measures to commit suicide and was being helped and diagnosed. I know that waiting isn’t fun and during severe depressive episodes we feel alone and like nobody cares. Medical staff is there to help but it is unfortunate that it takes time. I encourage you to return to the emergency room in asap I even if you feel okay right now. A psychiatrist referral will be the least you might get if u request it and immediate medication adjustments may be conducted by a medical professional. The medical system isn’t perfect by far, but please don’t give up on it…..hope you return for help should u need it.


Let's discuss this.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s